Cooking Classes

9.1.10

Dried Berries and Orange Drop Cookies


It is only half way through January and I am making cookies again!  It is so difficult to stay on a diet.  My walking partner brought her husband over to my house today so he could change a bulb in my daytime running light on my car.  I knew it was a big job but I don't really think they believed me.  He has to almost take off the front bumper of my car to do it!  So he will come back when the weather warms up and he can spend two hours!  Just to change a light bulb.  It is ridiculous but necessary.  And Viv, his wife, will come to hand him tools.  So you see, I have to make cookies.  I have to at least make coffee for them.  My Tennessee friends are so good to me!


Dried Berries and Orange Drop Cookies
  • 2 cups (packed) dried sweetened mixed berries (about 10 ounces)
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied orange with peel
  • 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
  • 3/4 cup chopped almonds
Butter 3 baking sheets. Combine dried sweetened cranberries and orange juice in small bowl. Let stand until dried cranberries soften slightly, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
Whisk all purpose flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl until just blended.
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Using electric mixer, beat room-temperature butter and golden brown sugar in large bowl until smooth. Add 1 egg, minced ginger, vanilla extract, and grated orange peel and beat until well blended, about 2 minutes. Beat in flour-spice mixture. Stir in chopped walnuts, chopped pistachios, coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries, and dried cranberries with any juices that have accumulated.
Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing tablespoonfuls about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 baking sheet at a time, until golden and almost firm to touch in center, about 18 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool cookies completely. (Cookies can be made 2 days ahead. Store cookies in airtight container at room temperature.)  Makes about 4 dozen.

2 comments:

  1. There's no need to justify your reasons for baking cookies haha. I totally understand! :) At least these cookies have lots of fruit in them! YUM! Lovely photo! I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy these sure would taste incredible right NOW with a cup a joe. Mmmm

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.