Cooking Classes

14.4.11

Edible Containers




Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at http://thedaringkitchen.com

This challenge was wide open for us to use any and all ideas we could come up with.  Sometimes that makes it more difficult!  Please log in and vote for me!



Bean Sprout and Papaya Salad

I used rice paper to make my edible bowl.  It is a fiddly thing to do but after awhile I felt like a kid playing with my food.  The spring roll paper needs to be rehydrated.  Dip it in warm water for a few seconds and then lay it on a cutting board to rehydrate.  I used smallish pieces because it was easier to control.  The rice paper once rehydrated is very elastic and sticky.  I broke the large round circles into quarters before dipping in water.  It works much easier than trying to tear them into pieces while they are wet.

Mold the pieces of rice paper around the bottom of a ladle.  This also works best if the ladle has been preheated in the oil.  Otherwise the rice paper is more difficult to remove after deep frying.  Dip the spoon in the oil to deep fry the rice paper.  350F for a minute or two and it is done.  Gently pry it off the spoon with tongs, not your fingers.  It is extremely hot and will burn.  Drain on paper towels.
For the salad....

Wash and dry bean sprouts.  Julienne papaya.  Toss together and arrange in rice paper bowl.

Decorate plate with lime zest.  Place salad bowl.  Top with chopped green onions.  Spoon over nuoc mam.  Serve.


Nuoc Mam

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup fish sauce
2 T sugar
2 T lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup grated carrots
red chili sauce, to taste

Mix all ingredients except red chili sauce in a jar.  Shake to mix.  Add red chili sauce, to taste.

17 comments:

  1. That is just so pretty!It's funny I just posted about rice wrapper papers.Love those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative. It makes such a stunning presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW so cute and the Bean Sprout and Papaya Salad in the crisp container sounds perfect well done.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rice paper idea! I bet you could fill it with all kinds of things and it would be so tasty. It's also super pretty with how light and see through it is after being fried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a silk wrap... how splendid! I can just imagine a plate of these as snacks for a party.. gorgeous and light... perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precioso plato se ve delicioso,una entrada de lujo,me encantó,cariños y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great idea. I have rice paper at home, will try it..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful. I love the rice paper. It is so delicate and what a perfect filling. Thanks for the visit and kind comment. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just 'mind blowing' gorgeous! So creative and it looks refreshing and delicious! I can almost taste the papaya paired with the crispy rice paper. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so delicate and enticing! I have some rice papers sitting around that I've been wanting to use up too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job, Sarah! Your photo is stunning! I wonder how good it tasted! I must give this one a try! Thanks so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.