Cooking Classes

27.4.12

Crispy Lamb Spare Ribs



I have taken delivery of my lamb for the season and will be trying a few new recipes.  I made these ribs and they were divine.  They were nicely sized for finger food and this recipe looked appropriate.  It was delicious.  I encourage you to try it!  Bon Appetit! 

Crispy Lamb Spare Ribs

For lamb ribs 
  • 6 pounds small breast ribs
  • 3 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 onions, coarsely chopped
  • 8 carrots, coarsely chopped
  • 8 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
  • 2 heads garlic, cloves peeled and coarsely chopped
  • 4 tablespoons fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
  • 4 cups dry red wine
  • 1 chicken stock
For salad
  • 2 cups frozen peas (from one 10-ounce package), unthawed
  • 1 red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

To serve
  • 2 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup semolina flour (pasta flour)
  • 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
  • 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds, toasted and finely ground using spice or coffee grinder (about 1 teaspoon ground)
  • 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds, toasted and finely ground using spice or coffee grinder (about 1 teaspoon ground)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Braise lamb ribs
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Pat ribs dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper. In heavy large sauté pan over moderately high heat, heat olive oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches, sear ribs until golden brown, 4 1/2 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer ribs as done to platter; do not wash pan.
In same pan, combine onions, carrots, celery, garlic, and rosemary. Sauté, stirring often, until soft, about 15 minutes. Add red wine and bring to boil. Lower heat to moderate and continue simmering until reduced by about 10 percent, about 3 minutes. Add stock and bring to simmer. Return ribs to pan, cover, and braise in oven until desired doneness (125°F for medium-rare, about 1 hour). Transfer ribs to cutting board and let stand 15 minutes. Lower oven to 125°F. 

While ribs are braising, make salad
Have ready large bowl ice water. In medium saucepan over high heat, bring salted water to boil. Add peas and boil, uncovered, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain in colander, then immediately plunge colander into ice water to stop cooking. Drain again. Coarsely chop, transfer to medium bowl, add onion, and toss to combine.
In small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Drizzle over pea-onion mixture and toss to combine. 

Finish ribs and serve
In heavy large sauté pan, heat vegetable oil until hot but not smoking. Cut racks into individual ribs.
In medium bowl, whisk together flour, semolina, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Working in batches of 6, dredge ribs in flour mixture and fry until golden and crisp, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer as done to paper towel-lined plate. Keep warm in oven while frying remaining batches.

10 comments:

  1. Yum yum, I love spare ribs, these look great. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I never tried lamb ribs until a year or so ago... they were amazing and I couldn't imagine why I'd never heard of doing it. So flavorful and your fried version looks amazing...can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are absolutely beautiful Sarah! I've never tried lamb ribs. I wish I could try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish lamb wasn't so stupidly expensive here. I'd love to be able to use it more often than Easter dinner. For example, your ribs must be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never eaten a lamb rib, Sarah. And I love lamb too. Not certain I've ever seen them in the market either. I'll ask. These looks absolutely fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Una gran receta sabrosa y contundente me encanta ...los fines de semana en la parcela hacemos cordero ,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look absolutely delicious!
    Cheers
    Mamatkamal

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lamb but no one else in my hosue does...so I never make it! This looks so good! You make such wonderful food for yourself! Yummy! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe seems to be very tasteful...Once i invite my friends for dinner I will cook them...Bravo!!!

    New member
    innikolskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.