Cooking Classes

28.3.13

Casual Friday - Grown Up Grilled Cheese


April is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich month is the U.S. These sandwiches were first made in the 1920's and then became popular in the Great Depression of the 30's. Sliced bread and processed cheese were affordable.

The original grilled cheese sandwich was actually an open face sandwich. And I was not aware that it was not until the 1960's that the second piece of bread was added. Now that really makes me feel old.

Taking only a few minutes to make, this is a perfect Casual Friday food. I made mine with Camembert, toasted pinenuts and my homemade fig chutney. I melted herbed compound butter in the pan and carefully placed the sandwich in as the butter began to bubble. Serve with a lightlly dressed green salad.

Share your favourite Adult Grill Cheese Sandwich with us by commenting.


7 comments:

  1. This looks a lot tastier than my plain ole grilled cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh..we had one last week with roasted mushrooms ..onions and smoked Gouda....
    All grown up too.
    Happy Easter:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite things.

    A beautiful sandwich you've made there!

    I made one with spaghetti sauce and homemade mozzarella last night... it is a guilty pleasure. A place in NY is making them with mac and cheese... how evil is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love both of those! A real Italian take on an American tradition. Isn't it usually the other way around! Now I want to make some mozza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a sweet fig chutney if this grown-up grilled cheese - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, this is elevating the grilled cheese to skittle ART! I have one jar of chunky fig jam left and some pinenuts and a wee bit of morbier to slice. It's 5:20 a.m. here and I'm thinking this lunch plan may have to be a breakfast plan.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.