Cooking Classes

12.4.13

Casual Friday - Trofie al Pesto


I like fresh ingredients but I prefer them in season. We seem to have a penchant for fresh food regardless if it is in season. I remember being in Florence and ordered a pizza al funghi. It was winter and obviously wild mushrooms were not being harvested. They had no qualms about using the dried version. So I say, if it is good enough in Italy it is good enough for me on the prairies.

This ramble is to introduce the pesto. Fresh basil is terribly expensive and shipped from afar at this time of year. An ideal way to preserve basil is in a pesto. I don't use it often enough. These interesting little pasta bits gave me the push I needed to use pesto.

I rarely eat only pasta these days. Too many calories! No fibre! No protein! But these carbs are sometimes so satisfying. I live in a small prairie city so when I get to a bigger city I always visit the Italian store. I buy things I cannot get at home. Finally I opened this package of trofie. This is a Ligurian pasta that is traditionally dressed with pesto. Top with freshly grated parmesan.

4 comments:

  1. I could live on pasta:
    I brought pasta back from Italy..it was so pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been craving fresh fruit. The fruit in the stores is all very sad right now. That pasta looks like good comfort food for a cold snowy day such as today!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am of 2 minds about eating in season. Although I tend to do it, I love the treats of out of season produce, especially when the weather is cold and damp. I do love pesto in winter, it reminds me of summer. And for empty calories, well we don't need to eat the caveman diet all the time!


    Beautiful pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cupboard is full of more than my share of every pasta shape imaginable. Being so close to a fantastic Italian market I simply cannot resist.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.