Cooking Classes

14.4.13

The Daring Cooks - No Bones About It

I have always wanted to know how to bone out a chicken and voila! That is our Daring Cook's Challenge this month. I chose a duck rather than a chicken. I can see so many applications for this new skill.

Since I had no one else to feed I stuffed the legs only with a wild rice, shallot and dried apricot mixture. I saved the breasts for another recipe.


For the April Daring Cooks Challenge, Lisa from Parsley, Sage and Sweet has challenged us to debone a whole chicken, using this video by Jacques Pepin as our guide; then stuff it, tie it and roast it, to create a Chicken Ballotine.

Jacques Pepin's video is so helpful. You can learn the entire process by watching him a few times.






7 comments:

  1. I agree, there are so many applications for this technique. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, your Ballotine of duck leg looks amazing, so perfectly executed. I do agree with you, deboned birds have so many possibilities! I'm sure I will be doing it again and again. Can't wait to try deboning a duck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Te ha quedado delicioso y lindo ....este rollo me encanta,hugs,hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, thanks so much for joining in on my challenge. You did such a beautiful job with those legs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost made a stuffed chicken once but the idea of all that knife work was overwhelming. Now that I have a lovely boning knife and this video (that I bookmarked) I might give it a try! Thanks for the splendid work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The result looks so appetizing – I guess it was worth the effort. I don’t know if I would like to try to de-bone a chicken or duck, but I should would like to take a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have certainly taught me a new culinary skill! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks! Great informative post and I just love that succulent duck Sarah! Great post!

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.