Cooking Classes

11.7.13

My dear Aunt Edith


Edith Pearl Hewitt, born July 12, 1910 died February 4, 2013 at Weyburn, SK at the age of 102 years. Edith was predeceased by parents Joseph and Maud Taylor, her husband Robert Hewitt; sisters, Margaret Evans, Kathleen Tressider; brothers, Elmer Taylor and James Taylor; stepchildren Russell Hewitt, Loy Hewitt, Evelyn Finnie, Hazel Parry and Douglas Hewitt. Edith is survived by her stepdaughters Irene Tully of Brandon, Roberta Richardson of Vernon, B.C. and daughter-in-law Jean Hewitt of Carlyle; numerous grandchildren, great- grandchildren, nieces and nephews. Edith was born in the Nesbitt, Manitoba area in 1910. She married Robert Hewitt in 1934 and they lived in the Wildwood District south of Carlyle. In 1937 Edith and Robert moved to Nesbitt during the difficult drought era. In 1949 Robert became ill and they returned to reside at Wordsworth. Edith and Robert also spent many years at their cabin at White Bear Lake. Edith was very involved with Moose Creek United Church. She was the organist for many years as well as being Treasurer for the Moose Creek United Church. Edith celebrated her 100th birthday in the summer of 2010 and many of her family travelled from far and wide to be in attendance. She lived on her own until the summer of 2011 at which time ill health necessitated a move to Weyburn. She will be missed by her family and friends as she had a remarkable life as there are few who were able to see and do the things she did. Donation in memory of Edith may be made to Moose Creek Heritage Fund. Graveside service will be held on July 12 in the Moose Creek Cemetery. Arrangements in care of the Orsted Funeral Home


Tomorrow is the day of the graveside ceremony for my Aunt Edith at our little country church. I have so many fond memories of her. When I was a young child and wanted to sing in the church choir, Aunt Edith would pick me up every Sunday. Actually, she was my great aunt. She was the church organist and was sure to be there. Every memory of Aunt Edith is warm. The smile you see in this picture was always on her face. She was a kind and loving person.




I remember visiting just a few short years ago at another family funeral. She had won the Reader's Digest Lottery! I think is was $100,000. She was 97 years old. I didn't know anyone actually won that lottery. I thought it was a scam. Good for her.

I miss you and will always remember you.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. She did live a great long life and your memories with her will carry you through the difficult times. My sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are always people that leave indelible marks in our life..
    :)

    My mom loved her Reader's Digets..
    Whe she passed ..I was 19 and wrote a letter to the Reader's Digest about my mom..
    The didn't accept it..
    I am glad she won:) You see you will always remember that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences on the loss of your much loved aunt. You are very fortunate to have had such a wonderful lady in your life. And what a terrific, long life she had!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.