Cooking Classes

17.7.13

The Canadian Food Experience Project - Regional Canadian Food


UPDATE:  CHECK OUT ALL THE CONTRIBUTIONS HERE http://www.acanadianfoodie.com/2013/07/16/the-canadian-food-experience-project-round-up-two-2/comment-page-1/#comment-84469 

YOU WILL BE DELIGHTED WITH THE IDEAS.

Thank you Val at A Canadian Foodie for inspiring us all to explore our Canadian cuisine. For myself it is proving to be a time of naked truth and reflection. I look forward to all the other participants entries this month. Val will post a collection from all 70 participants on her blog on July 15. Do plan a visit. It is so interesting. Our theme this month is 'regional Canadian food'.

Where I now live is not the part of Saskatchewan where I grew up. As a result I become very confused. One would think we are all the same. It isn't so. I cannot believe the subtle differences that a 5 hour drive can make. The subtle differences include the diversity in ethnic cultures, the climate and growing season and as a result the type of farming. After all, we farm in Saskatchewan.

When I moved to Swift Current I became a fast friend with my back door neighbour. She farms, she is a hobbyist photographer and I happen know her son who lives in Calgary. Small world. It is no secret that I love to cook. Soon after meeting my new neighbour I was invited to deliver food to the field as the men were harvesting. Actually, it was their Thanksgiving dinner. Can you imagine a more fitting place to enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner than in field being harvested. Cool.

This was my introduction to flat pie. I have since come to realize that flat pie is common in my new home town. Flat pie is pie made in a sheet pan, hence flat pie, and is easy to take out to the field. The pastry to filling ratio is greater so one must roll the dough very thinly. One day I invited Verdella to teach me how to make this pie. Peaches were in season. We rolled pastry, sliced peaches, sprinkled sugar, baked and ate. Awesome!


Verdella’s Peach Flat Pie
1 pastry recipe
8-10 peaches, peeled and sliced
1 c. sugar, or to taste
3 tbsp. cornstarch
To peel peaches, cut an X on the bottom of the fruit then blanch them in boiling water for about 1 minute and chill in ice water. The peel will come off easily. Slice, remove pit and place in water with 2 tbsp of lemon juice added so they don’t darken.
Roll pastry large enough to cover a 9” x 13”  rimmed sheet pan. Lay pastry over the pan and gently press into place. Drain and toss sliced peaches with sugar and cornstarch. Arrange evenly over pastry. Roll the top crust and place over fruit. Trim pastry if necessary before tucking it under and crimping the edges. Cut vents. Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes and reduce to 350 F and bake 35-45 minutes longer.
Verdella’s Perfect Pastry
5 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 lb. lard
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 egg, lightly beaten
Cold water
Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in lard with pastry blender or your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse oatmeal. In a liquid measuring cup, combine vinegar and egg. Add cold water to make 1 cup in total. Gradually stir into flour and lard mixture. Add only enough to make the dough cling together. Knead gently until it all clings together. Shape into 4 flattened balls or if making flat pie, shape into 2, wrap with plastic and chill 30 – 60 minutes or freeze until use.
This is enough pastry for 2 – 9 inch pies or one flat pie.


8 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful thing to discover one's food culture. The experience is often the same in the U.S.. An hour drive can make a difference for us.

    Love this post.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to take to the workers in field. Will have to give this recipe a try and will be checking out that blog on the 15th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course this is my first experience with flat pie Sarah. Seasonal, regional and without a doubt delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great idea! Not only for workers in the fields, but for potlucks at work, too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah,
    I was so excited to read about this from your synopsis, but to see the last two photos - LOVE THIS... what a revealing history lesson from your area and a delicious recipe to boot. Makes perfect good sense.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You have found a way for my boys to take pie to school in their lunches! It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was mean to be! On food52. only a few short weeks ago, I was introduced to 'slab pie' from our lady Martha. Pie for a crowd....and I absolutely love the idea. Not to mention how many mouths can partake if its goodness! This looks like one delicious peach pie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Sarah, this will definitely find its way into my recipe file. I can see this being a front porch favorite, bake and call out the friends to neighbors to join me, so I don't eat the whole thing myself.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.