This month's Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club is featuring food from the Fall Fair (or summer fair, since it is only the beginning of August!)
Val from More Than Burnt Toast is our host this month. She is serving a fabulous lobster roll. Be sure to check it out. I wanted to offer a lighter version of the so popular Taco in a Bag. For starters, I didn't use a bag of those oh-so-yummy flavoured taco chips. Make your own bag and use some baked chips and use fewer. Load up on the filling. This is so light using Greek style yogurt rather than sour cream and the avocado and lime kicks it up a notch, lightly sauteed chicken rather than the ground beef chili and a vinaigrette on an herbed lettuce. You can pile it on without guilt.
See what else is for dinner here...
Val at More Than Burnt Toast has Lobster Roll with Shaved Fennel Salad
Sandi at The Whistle Stop Cafe made Carmelized Banana Sundae
Jerry at Jerry's Thoughts, Musings and Rants has Grilled Corn on the Cob with Jalapeno Butter
Susan at The Spice Garden lightened up Onion Rings
What a great line up for lazy days.
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3/4 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- Cooking spray
- 1/8 tsp. grated lime rind
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided
- 1/4 c. thick yogurt
- 1/2 ripe peeled avocado, diced
- 2 c. thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 c. thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with chile powder, garlic salt, and cumin. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove chicken from pan.
- Combine rind, 1 tablespoon juice, yogurt and avocado in a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon juice, lettuce, onions, cilantro, oil, and salt, tossing to coat.
- This will make about 6 servings. Add to bag in order - tortilla chips, chicken mixture, about 1 tablespoon avocado mixture and 1/2 cup lettuce mixture.