Cooking Classes

2.4.14

Ricotta Semifreddo with Sea Buckthorn for Easter



This month we are planning an Easter meal. I have the dessert course. I tried to remember the last time I had an Easter dinner. Our family doesn't get together.  This is my Easter dinner. Come dine with me and enjoy all the fabulous recipes my friends are bringing to the table.

Sea buckthorn are berries that I adore. Not only do they have a long list of nutrients including all the omegas, yes ALL the omegas, they are delicious. Every chance I get I add them to my menu. This delicious semifreddo is just great all on its own but a fruit or berry garnish add that je ne sais quois. Simply simmer the berries in a heavy sugar syrup. Check out all those wonderful vanilla bean specks. Vanilla bean accentuates sea buckthorn perfectly.

Oh, and we have another person at the table. Shelby of Grumpy's Honeybunch is now with us. She was a member at the beginning of this club. And now she is back. Welcome, Shelby.

So here's the menu


Ricotta Semifreddo with Sea Buckthorn

1/2 cup sugar 
1/4 cup 2% milk 
1/4 cup honey 
1/2 teaspoon freeze dried sea buckthorn puree
1 vanilla bean
1/8 teaspoon salt 
3 ounces cream cheese, softened 
16 fl.oz. (500 mL) container part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup chilled heavy cream 
1/4 cup fresh or frozen sea buckthorn berries 
2 tablespoons sugar
  1. Line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap. Cook the berries in 1/2 cup water with sugar for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
  2. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, milk, honey, freeze dried sea buckthorn, seeds from one vanilla bean pod, 1/8 teaspoon salt, cream cheese, and ricotta in a blender; process until smooth. Pour the mixture into a large bowl. Pour cream into a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold 1/4 cup whipped cream into ricotta mixture. Fold in the remaining cream.
  3. Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze at least 8 hours or until set. Remove semifreddo from freezer, and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Discard top piece of plastic wrap. Invert loaf pan onto a serving platter, and tap to remove semifreddo. Discard the remaining plastic wrap, and slice semifreddo crosswise. Serve with sea buckthorn berries in syrup.

10 comments:

  1. I am intrigued by the sea buckthorne Sarah. I am quite sure we have tried it ut all the more willing to try it with a rich and delicious semifreddo. Thanks for bringing it to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh ... the color alone of the sea buckthorn in that syrup is just so pretty! I, too, am really curious about the sea buckthorn! I've never heard of it! And to think that it's really healthy! Win-win! Happy Easter to you, dearie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had semifreddo before and never heard of the sea buckthorne! This looks like a delicious dessert that I would certainly be willing to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing Sarah! I have never heard of sea buckhorn but will have to visit google to find out some more . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I need to make room for sea buckthorn on the farm. I've been eyeing it now for several years and am so glad to hear your encouraging words about the super food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your semifreddo, Sarah. Sea buckhorn is new to me...I did some reading and it sure has a lot of health benefits. What's the flavor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has a very exotic flavour like a tropical fruit. That's why I like pairing it with vanilla.

      Delete
  7. Hi! Your semifreddo recipe was nominated as one of the "Best 300 Semifreddo Recipes on the Net". To vote for it, please visit http://easyitalianrecipes.org/dessert-recipes/best-300-italian-semifreddo-recipes-on-the-net-vote-for-your-favorite/ - your recipe is positioned at #27 (random order).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.