Cooking Classes

8.9.14

Early Frost and Harvesting my Herbs

 It's that time of year. The time when an early frost promises to decimate your garden. I should have harvested my herbs earlier but here I am holding out to the bitter end.

What would you do with these herbs? I have curly parsley, oregano, rosemary, sage and thyme. The parsley will make a tabouli. What else!

I think I will make a grape and rosemary focaccia. Rosemary would be great dried so if I have any left over I'll dry it.

The thyme will also be great dried. I think I'll hang it to dry and save for winter roasts.

But what about the oregano and sage? I could dry the sage but the oregano isn't that highly flavoured. I could freeze it. What could I make with my fresh oregano and sage? Ideas welcomed.
These trimmings will go into my freezer bag for making stocks.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like a great herb harvest! Try your oregano with baked tomatoes or a homemade pizza or calzone, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas everyone - here and on Facebook. Making some very aromatic pork meatballs right now. Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my cousin "Salad of halved cherry tomatoes, ultra-fresh mozzarella, designer olive oil; designer salt, oregano. One of your own breads with delicately saged butter. Salami & olives. Honeydew melon & gorgonzola for dessert." How decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joumana Accad freeze them and later use them in all your dishes. omelet with chopped parsley is a lebanese classic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginni Kathuria-Kelley Sage makes lovely sausages - or sausage stuffing balls as we make them and use them at your Thanksgiving dinner. I can share my secret recipe if you want to make those

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nadine Crispeen LeBean Ferment them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is very interesting to know about fondant cutters which we can use in cake decorating. These are like cutters for flowers, roses, numbers, letters, geometric, ribbons and silhouette cutters. Gumpaste and fondant cutters are an essential tool in cake decorating, cake supplies and rentals offers an extensive line of rolled fondant cake decorating supplies.
    Visit us at:
    fondant cutters

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found it very nice article, we can know about different techniques of cakes. Explore our wide range of Molds available in different shapes and sizes for cakes and cookies easily at cake supplies and rentals. Fondant and cookie cutters to suit every occasion, from plunger cutters to patchwork cutters and even flower cutters with molds.
    Visit us at:
    fondant molds and cutters

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Please visit often.